A big welcome to Justine Greening, the new Secretary of State for International Development in the UK. We look forward to working with you.
Ten things CARE would like the Secretary of State for International Development to consider:
- You can make a difference.
- If it doesn't help poor people, it isn't aid.
- 70% of the world's poor people are women.
- Business can benefit poor people and make a profit. We can show you how.
- No country in conflict has met a Millennium Development Goal. Poor people’s security matters to them.
- Gender equality creates growth and reduces poverty. Please read the 2012 World Bank report.
- Economic growth doesn’t always lead to poverty reduction. But, increasing poor people’s access to savings, loans and insurance can help.
- Strong civil society is necessary for good government. So, meet local communities and not just the elite.
- Preventing humanitarian disasters is a lot better than providing emergency aid.
- Development is complicated. We need to challenge each other to find better solutions.