CARE International UK is committed to protecting your privacy
CARE International UK is a registered charity in England and Wales with the registered charity number 292506 ("CARE International").
The Supporter Care team
c/o Ashurst LLP
London Fruit and Wool Exchange
1 Duval Square
London E1 6PW
Or call our Supporter Care team on +44 020 7091 6100
One of the most important things to say is that we NEVER sell or exchange your personal information with other organisations for marketing purposes.
Please note also that you are in control of how we might hold or use your personal information - see below for more details.
How we collect information
We will collect information about you when:
- you make a donation, make a loan to an entrepreneur, campaign for us or enquire about an event. We may work with a professional fundraising agency such as Purity Telemarketing and Cymba SMS provider to collect this information, but please be assured that we are still responsible for your data;
- sign up to receive updates on our activities;
- you post on our social media sites like Meta (formerly Facebook), Twitter and Instagram. Depending on your privacy settings or the privacy policies of these sites, you might give us permission to receive information about you from them;
- you volunteer for CARE International;
- you take part in one of our events or fundraise for us or enquire about doing this;
- you contact us through the following channels: online, email, phone, SMS, social media or by post; and
- We may also receive information about you from third parties such as Just Giving and Virgin Money Giving – but only if you’ve given them permission to share your information with us. These organisations will have their own privacy policies so please do make sure you read them before providing your information.
- We may also collect personal information about you from the public domain, such as from social networks, company websites, political and property registers and news archives. We may also work with experts from external agencies to collect this information. This helps us find out where our supporters come from, what they do and what they are most interested in. This helps us to talk to you about the things that are most relevant to you and helps us find more passionate people like you to support CARE International’s vital work.
The types of personal information we might hold about you
- Your name, address, email address and phone numbers
- Your date of birth
- Your bank or credit card details (only if you are making a donation)
- Your previous donation history and details of your plans to give in the future
- Your tax status if you have given us permission to claim Gift Aid or told us you are not eligible
- If you are taking part in an event we may also collect medical information, passport details and emergency contact details
- Where it is appropriate, we may ask your specific interests relating to our work
Additional research about you
To try to make sure we talk to you about areas of CARE International’s work that you are interested in and to make sure we don’t waste vital charity funds, we might add to what we know about you with information from third party sources. This may include:
- Your parliamentary constituency
- An estimate of your age, the size and make up of your household and your interests
- Possible geodemographic segmentation (this is characterising neighbourhoods on the principle that residents living near each other are likely to have similar demographic, socio-economic and lifestyle characteristics)
If you are making a significant donation we may carry out desk research into the source of your donation. You can read more about this in our donation acceptance policy. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Supporter Care team on 020 7091 6100 to receive a copy of this policy.
Using your personal information
We will use your information (see how we collect your information above) for the following purposes when it is in both yours and our legitimate interests to do so.
- To provide you with the service or information you have requested
- If you sign up for a fundraising event we will keep in touch with you regularly in the lead up to the event to ensure you have all of the details you need for taking part. We will also contact you after the event to get your feedback and communicate the total of the funds raised.
- To administer your donations, including Gift Aid processing
- To tailor internet and social media advertising according to your interests, preferences and the way you have used our website, Meta (formerly Facebook) or Twitter pages
- To send you mailings or call you about how your donations are helping people and how you can help CARE International continue its work to fight poverty and defend dignity
- To inform our marketing and raise more money for CARE International in a cost efficient way
With your consent we may also:
- email or send you text messages with updates on fundraising appeals you have given to, new appeals, other CARE International news and opportunities to take part in surveys or research
Your consent will be valid for at least three years, unless you tell us otherwise. If you do not open our emails or respond to our text messages during a three year period we will assume we no longer have consent to contact you in this way.
- Cymba – SMS marketing agency
- Dataro - AI powered donor scoring software
- Engaging Networks - online fundraising platform and email service provider
- Ethicall Ltd - telemarketing
- Meta (formerly Facebook) - advertising
- Farewill - Will making services
- Google - website analytics and advertising
- Intermarketing – print supplier
- JPMG - print supplier
- JustGiving - sponsorship website
- LegacyLink – legacy administration
- Mailchimp – email supplier
- Open Creates - marketing agency
- OMG - text and online donation checkout
- Purity Fundraising – telemarketing
- Telebank – process donations which are returned by post
- The Kite Factory - media buying agency
- Virgin Money Giving – sponsorship website
In the process of working with Mailchimp your data may be transferred outside the EEA, to the US. Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the UK, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data.
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved for use in the UK which give personal data the same protection it has in the UK.
Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the UK.
How long we keep your information for
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity. We may retain your personal data for a longer period in the event of a complaint or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation in respect to our relationship with you.
If you tell us you do not consent to receive our marketing, we will keep a record of your contact details to enable us to remove you from any contact lists now and in the future.
Legacy income is vital to funding CARE International’s work. We may keep personal information you provide to us for as long as is needed both to administer legacy gifts and to communicate effectively with the families of people leaving us legacies. This also enables us to identify and analyse the source of legacy income we receive.
How do we protect your information?
We implement appropriate technical and organisational security measures to protect your information and keep it confidential, including SSL technology, encryption and firewalls.
- You can change your mind about the consent you have given us for our marketing activities at any time.
- You can ask us to stop using your information for any of the purposes listed above at any time.
- You can request to see the information we hold about you at any time by completing this subject access request form, and ask us to correct, delete or restrict it. Please note, there may be a small charge to cover administrative costs if you make multiple requests.
- It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us.
- You also have the right to ask us to move, copy or transfer the information we hold about you from our own IT environment to another of your choosing, in a safe and secure way.
Simply write to CARE International, c/o Ashurst LLP, London Fruit and Wool Exchange, 1 Duval Square, London E1 6PW. Alternatively you can email email@example.com or call our Supporter Care team on 020 7091 6100.
To check and/or change your preferences about how you would like us to contact you, you can also use our online Supporter Hub.
If you are not happy with the way we have processed your data you can make a complaint to our Supporter Care team (at the above contact details) - and if you aren’t happy with our response you have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK's Data Protection Authority - the Information Commissioner’s Office. Alternatively, you can go directly to them. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
Our data protection team can be contacted on: London-DataProtection@careinternational.org
This policy will be reviewed at least annually. The next review is planned for December 2021. If we make significant changes we will publish them clearly on our website or contact you directly with more information.
Updated August 2021